Deadline: Discussion Questions
To learn more about the book, or to order your copy, visit the Deadline book page.
1. The close friendship between Finney, Doc and Jake is described throughout Deadline. How do your relationships with non-believing friends compare to Finney’s?
2. Read 1st Corinthians 9:19-23. How well do you think Finney measured up to the principles set forth there? How well do you measure up? What specific ways could you improve?
3. As you read about Finney’s joyful reunion with his mother and his daughter in Heaven, who are you looking forward to being reunited with? Who are you looking forward to getting to know for the first time?
4. Try to put yourself in Finney’s shoes as he finally meets his Lord and Savior for the first time. Describe as best you can how you think you might feel when you meet Him.
5. Read 1st Corinthians 2:9-10. Finney was delighted and overwhelmed when he began to discover the joys of Heaven. How do you imagine Heaven to be? How have your views and ideas of Heaven been enhanced or changed?
6. As Jake began to really seek out God (and God began to seek out Jake!) it became increasingly difficult to be accepting of issues that he had always either promoted or tolerated, like abortion, homosexuality and “safe-sex” education in schools. How did Jake respond to this struggle? How do you respond? Be specific.
7. Read Matthew 5:13-16. How does Jesus ask us to respond and affect the sinful world around us?
8. After reading about Doc’s after-death experience, how has your perspective on hell changed?
9. What events and emotions led up to Jake finally surrendering his life to Christ? What events and emotions led up to your own surrender?
10. How did God respond to Jake when he surrendered to Him? What were some changes that Jake experienced because of his conversion? What changed in your own life when you accepted Christ as your Savior?
11. God longs for restoration and healing of relationships. In what ways did Jake, Carly and Janet work on their relationships? Read Colossians 3:12-15. According to these verses, how does God want us to treat each other?
12. Are you prepared for a life-altering car accident if it were to happen today? Why or why not?
Which of the three main characters in Deadline do you identify with most closely? Which could you identify with the least? Why?