Summary of and Response to some of the false claims in The Da Vinci Code
- The Priory of Sion was created in 1099 to protect The Sangreal Documents, which held the secrets of the Holy Grail.
The Priory of Sion is a small splinter group founded just a half century ago. The Sangreal Documents were revealed to be fraudulent in the 1990s.
- The Knights Templar went to Jerusalem to find the Sangreal Documents and used them to blackmail the Vatican and achieved great wealth and power.
The Knights Templar were founded in about 1118 AD and their only mission was to protect pilgrims on the roadways of the Holy Land. They became wealthy through the gifts of grateful pilgrims.
- There were more than 80 original gospels but only four were chosen by Constantine for political reasons.
There were approximately 60 other documents, many of them not gospels, and the majority of them can be traced to the cult of Gnosticism. Most of them were written in the second century under pseudonyms of the apostles. The four gospels were recognized as authentic long before Constantine’s rule because they were eyewitness accounts written within 20-50 years of Jesus’ lifetime.
- In 325 AD the Council of Nicaea, in a relatively close vote, established that Jesus was deity. Until then Jesus was viewed by his followers as a mortal prophet.
The “close” vote at Nicaea was 300 to two that Jesus was coeternal with God the Father. More than 200 years before the Council of Nicaea, Peter confessed in Matthew 14, “Truly you are the Son of God.”
- It is Mary Magdalene, not John, that is depicted sitting next to Jesus in Leonardo Da Vinci’s famous painting of The Last Supper.
In Leonardo’s day, John was often painted by artists as young and beardless. It might be noted that Leonardo was not an eyewitness of the Last Supper - he painted it more than 1,300 years later.
- There are countless references by modern historians to Jesus and Mary Magdalene’s marital union.
There is only one reference, a 1983 book called Holy Blood, Holy Grail, which is regarded by scholars and historians as “pulp fiction.”
- Mary Magdalene bore Christ’s royal bloodline. She was of the House of Benjamin and of royal descent. Proof of this is contained in the Sangreal Documents.
There is no genealogy of Mary Magdalene given in any documents anywhere, especially in the fraudulent Sangreal Documents.