What Are Some Good Resources About Fasting?
Fasting is not just an ancient practice or something you have to do before a blood test. It is also a spiritual discipline. The point of fasting is not to be miserable or to focus on being hungry, but (in part) to train our bodies by saying no to them for a while. Every time there's a hunger pang, it reminds us we're doing something different. The goal is to then think in terms of following Christ. Let our hunger remind us of our deepest hunger for God.
Here are some helpful resources about fasting as a spiritual discipline:
- An article I wrote years ago about fasting.
- Fasting for Beginners and The Secret Benefit of Fasting, articles by David Mathis, a great brother at Desiring God.
- What Christians Need to Know About Fasting, by Sam Storms, a solid biblical thinker.
- What Exactly Is Fasting All About, a good article on this subject.
- A Hunger for God: Desiring God through Fasting and Prayer, an excellent book by John Piper. It’s a free PDF (or can be purchased) at the link above.